Brandon Lawrence, M.D.Board Certified Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon
Dr. Lawrence is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon specializing in adult and pediatric cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine disorders. Dr. Lawrence focuses his practice in degenerative and traumatic conditions of the spine including disc degeneration and herniation, spinal stenosis, spinal deformity, spinal trauma, spinal tumors and spinal infections. He serves as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Utah. His primary clinical interests are cervical and lumbar spine disorders, complex spinal deformity reconstructive surgery, minimally invasive surgery and microscopic spine surgery. Dr. Lawrence’s research interests are centered on spinal biomechanics, improving fusion technologies through stem cell research and patient outcome related research.
Dr. Lawrence grew up in Vermont and attended medical school at the University of Vermont College of Medicine and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. He completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut and completed his fellowship training in Spinal Surgery at the University of Utah School of Medicine.
Dr. Lawrence practices at the University Orthopaedic Center and sees patients in the office on Tuesdays and Friday mornings. He operates at the University Orthopaedic Center and at the University Health Sciences Center in Salt Lake City.
Please call if you would like to make an appointment or visit our website to request an online appointment.
- Fellowship University of Utah
- Chief Resident Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Residency Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Internship Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Professional Medical University of Vermont College of Medicine
- Research Fellow University of Vermont
- Undergraduate University of Vermont
Biology and Microbiology & Molecular Genetics
Orthopaedics - Associate Professor
Neurosurgery - Adjunct Associate Professor
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Degenerative Spine Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Spinal Deformity Surgery
- Spine Trauma
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Spine Arthroplasty
- Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
Spinal Deformity Surgery
- Goz V, Martin BI, Donnally CJ 3rd, Brodke D, Spina N, Lawrence B, Spiker WR (2020). Potential Selection Bias in Observational Studies Comparing Cervical Disc Arthroplasty to Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. (Epub ahead of print) Spine.
- Spina N, Schoutens C, Martin BI, Brodke DS, Lawrence B, Spiker WR (2020). Defining Instability in Degenerative Spondylolisthesis: Surgeon Views. Clin Spine Surg, 32(10), E434-E439.
- Stover JD, Farhang N, Lawrence B, Bowles RD (2019). Multiplex Epigenome Editing of Dorsal Root Ganglion Neuron Receptors Abolishes Redundant Interleukin 6, Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha, and Interleukin 1β Signaling by the Degenerative Intervertebral Disc. Hum Gene Ther, 30(9), 1147-1160.
- Farhang N, Ginley-Hidinger M, Berrett KC, Gertz J, Lawrence B, Bowles RD (2019). Lentiviral CRISPR Epigenome Editing of Inflammatory Receptors as a Gene Therapy Strategy for Disc Degeneration. Hum Gene Ther, 30(9), 1161-1175.
- Goz V, Spiker WR, Lawrence B, Brodke D, Spina N (2019). Odontoid Fractures: A Critical Analysis Review. JBJS Rev, 7(8), e1.
- Martin BI, Mirza SK, Spina N, Spiker WR, Lawrence B, Brodke DS (2018). Trends in Lumbar Fusion Procedure Rates and Associated Hospital Costs for Degenerative Spinal Diseases in the United States, 2004 to 2015. Spine, 44(5), 369-376.
- Goz V, Anthony C, Pugely A, Lawrence B, Spina N, Brodke D, Spiker WR (2018). Software-Based Postoperative Communication With Patients Undergoing Spine Surgery. Global Spine Journal, 9(1), 14-17.
- Bateman AH, Larouche J, Goldstein CL, Sciubba DM, Choma TJ, Lawrence B, Cheng J, Fehlings MG, Paquette SJ, Yee AJM (2018). The Importance of Determining Trainee Perspectives on Procedural Competencies During Spine Surgery Clinical Fellowship. Global Spine Journal, 9(1), 18-24.
- Spiker WR, Brodke DS, Goz V, Lawrence B, Teerlink CC, Cannon-Albright LA (2017). Evidence of an Inherited Predisposition for Spinal Cord Tumors. Global Spine Journal, 8(4), 340-344.
- Colman MW, Guss A, Bachus KN, Spiker WR, Lawrence BD, Brodke DS (2016). Fixed-Angle, Posteriorly Connected Anterior Cage Reconstruction Improves Stiffness and Decreases Cancellous Subsidence in a Spondylectomy Model. Spine, 41(9), E519-23.
- Haller J, Bice M, Lawrence B (2016). Mediating the Secondary Effects of Spinal Cord Injury Through Optimization of Key Physiologic Parameters. J Am Acad Orthop Surg, 24(3), 160-71.
- Hung M, Cheng C, Hon SD, Franklin JD, Lawrence BD, Neese A, Grover CB, Brodke DS (2015). Challenging the norm: further psychometric investigation of the neck disability index. Spine J, 15(11), 2440-5.
- Smith MW, Annis P, Lawrence BD, Daubs MD, Brodke DS (2015). Acute proximal junctional failure in patients with preoperative sagittal imbalance. Spine J, 15(10), 2142-8.
- Goz V, Rane A, Abtahi AM, Lawrence BD, Brodke DS, Spiker WR (2015). Geographic variations in the cost of spine surgery. Spine, 40(17), 1380-9.
- Mazur MD, Ravindra VM, Schmidt MH, Brodke DS, Lawrence BD, Riva-Cambrin J, Dailey AT (2015). Unplanned reoperation after lumbopelvic fixation with S-2 alar-iliac screws or iliac bolts. J Neurosurg Spine, 23(1), 67-76.
- Annis P, Brodke DS, Spiker WR, Daubs MD, Lawrence BD (2015). The Fate of L5-S1 With Low-Dose BMP-2 and Pelvic Fixation, With or Without Interbody Fusion, in Adult Deformity Surgery. Spine, 40(11), E634-9.
- Abtahi AM, Brodke DS, Lawrence BD, Zhang C, Spiker WR (2015). Association between patient-reported measures of psychological distress and patient satisfaction scores after spine surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 97(10), 824-8.
- Daubs MD, Tyser A, Lawrence BD, Sinclair SK, Patel AA, Adams J, Brodke DS (2015). The effect of aging on posterior intertransverse lumbar fusion: a New Zealand white rabbit model. Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques, 28(2), E115-20.
- Hung M, Stuart A, Cheng C, Hon SD, Spiker R, Lawrence B, Neese A, Brodke DS (2014). Predicting the DRAM mZDI using the PROMIS anxiety and depression. Spine, 40(3), 179-83.
- Calvert GC, Lawrence BD, Abtahi AM, Bachus KN, Brodke DS (2015). Cortical screws used to rescue failed lumbar pedicle screw construct: a biomechanical analysis. J Neurosurg Spine, 22(2), 166-72.
- Lawrence BD, Patel AA, Guss A, Ryan Spiker W, Brodke DS (2014). Malaligned dynamic anterior cervical plate: a biomechanical analysis of effectiveness. Spine, 39(25), 2057-61.
- Annis P, Lawrence BD, Spiker WR, Zhang Y, Chen W, Daubs MD, Brodke DS (2014). Predictive factors for acute proximal junctional failure after adult deformity surgery with upper instrumented vertebrae in the thoracolumbar spine. Evid Based Spine Care J, 5(2), 160-2.
- Daubs MD, Hung M, Adams JR, Patel AA, Lawrence BD, Neese AM, Brodke DS (2014). Clinical predictors of psychological distress in patients presenting for evaluation of a spinal disorder. Spine J, 14(9), 1978-83.
- Daubs MD, Hung M, Neese A, Hon SD, Lawrence BD, Patel AA, Annis P, Smith J, Brodke DS (2014). Scoliosis research society-22 results in 3052 healthy adolescents aged 10 to 19 years. Spine, 39(10), 826-32.
- Joaquim AF, Ghizoni E, Tedeschi H, Lawrence B, Brodke DS, Vaccaro AR, Patel AA (2014). Upper cervical injuries - a rational approach to guide surgical management. J Spinal Cord Med, 37(2), 139-51.
- Hung M, Hon SD, Franklin JD, Kendall RW, Lawrence BD, Neese A, Cheng C, Brodke DS (2014). Psychometric properties of the PROMIS physical function item bank in patients with spinal disorders. Spine, 39(2), 158-63.
- Joaquim AF, Lawrence B, Daubs M, Brodke D, Tedeschi H, Vaccaro AR, Patel AA (2014). Measuring the impact of the Thoracolumbar Injury Classification and Severity Score among 458 consecutively treated patients. J Spinal Cord Med, 37(1), 101-6.
- Brodke DS, Annis P, Lawrence BD (2016). Odontoid Screw Placement. In Vaccaro AR, Albert TJ (Eds.), Spine Surgery: Tricks of the Trade (3rd, Chapter 20, pp. 68-70). New York: Thieme.
- Belding J, Brodke DS, Lawrence BD (2015). Differentiating Lumbar Fractures from Thoracolumbar Fractures. In Vialle LR, Bellabarba C, Kandziora F (Eds.), AOSpine Masters Series Volume 6: Thoracolumbar Spine Trauma (6th, Chapter 9, pp. 109-19). New York: Thieme.
- Haller JM, Calvert G, Spiker WR, Brodke DS, Lawrence BD (2015). Remote Cerebellar Hemorrhage after Revision Lumbar Spine Surgery. Global Spine Journal, 5(6), 535-7.
- Montgomery JT, Lawrence BD, Brodke DS, Patel AA (2015). Postoperative Shingles Mimicking Recurrent Radiculopathy after Anterior Cervical Diskectomy and Fusion. Global Spine Journal, 5(3), 219-23.
- Abtahi AM, Brodke DS, Lawrence BD (2014). Vertebral artery anomalies at the craniovertebral junction: a case report and review of the literature. Evid Based Spine Care J, 5(2), 121-5.